Amber Moore's Blog

Reflections

Prompts of Depth and Complexity

| 0 comments

Gifted Endorsement Year 1 Cohort: Prompts of Depth and Complexity 

I began introducing the prompts of depth and complexity early in the school year. I used direct instruction and discussion to help my students understand the definitions. The prompts are included in my posted daily objectives for student learning. This is also a talking point to help them comprehend the prompts. I teach math and science and find some prompts to be more beneficial than others. I have ‘Language of the Discipline’ on my whiteboard where I hold small group instruction. I post the vocabulary that is relevant to the topic, and I have my students refer to it during discussion and answering questions. Here are some examples of how I have integrated them throughout the year.

Details: Attributes

Example: Classify two-dimensional shapes and three-dimensional figures

Across Disciplines: Geometry and architecture

Example: Today I will think like a geometer! Today I will think like an architect! Today I will think like an engineer! This one works great for science as well.

Language of the Discipline: Terms, signs, symbols, operations, measurement, and data.

Example: rectangular prism, volume, rhombus, trapezoid, obtuse angle

Patterns: Geometric patterns

Example: Classify quadrilaterals, rectangular prisms, triangular prisms

Rules: The structure and standards for mathematics, accuracy, and almost everything in geometry

Example: V=l x w x h, V=B x h, standard algorithm

I also wrote a previous post that shares how I used the icons details, multiple perspectives, trends, ethics, and big idea.

I feel using the depth and complexity icons has benefited all of my students, but especially my high level thinkers. Using these allows them to delve into a deeper process of thinking, making content more rigorous.