Amber Moore's Blog

Reflections

Independent Study: 2019 Ocean Challenge

| 0 comments

Gifted Endorsement Year 1 Cohort: Independent Study 

Our fifth graders had just completed their “Improve the World” project, but what next? This project gave our learners the opportunity to discover the potential impact solar energy could have on the world, and especially in impoverished communities. I couldn’t imagine asking them to simply research a topic, it needed to have more meaning.

(You can read more about their journey in this post from our classroom blog.)

Observing the impact this project had on student learning when it connects to the real-world, I decided to try an end of the year independent study that would hopefully inspire my learners like the solar energy project. That’s when I found the 2019 Ocean Challenge on Student Rebuild. This challenge would provide my learners the opportunity to not only learn more about the ocean and its inhabitants, but to help through creating art and raising awareness! The Bezos Family Foundation was donating $2 for ever piece of art created from recycled materials through World Oceans Day, June 8, 2019. This sounded like a win-win situation.

We embarked on this new adventure by first viewing this video. I didn’t give any reason or explanation to why we were watching it, we just watched it. Then I showed them this Ocean Challenge fact sheet. Through this project they would begin to understand once again, minorities of low income and in this case coastal communities, are most affected by this pollution. And much like with our solar project, one way to support is by raising awareness with people beyond our classrooms. I challenged them to learn more, create art, and decide a way they would share the plight of so many sea creatures and the destruction of our ocean.

Then began the research! Students worked independently and with partners. Their final product was based on student choice. Students chose a variety of artifacts including Power Point, brochures, and PSA. Here is a blog post sharing the some of the final products.

They also created 47 pieces of art earning $94! Their art an be viewed in this gallery. Scroll to the bottom to see our their amazing pieces!

I really enjoyed both of these projects. It is amazing when students feel connected to not only what they are learning, but also feel they are making a difference with their voice and action.

Any ideas for future class projects?