Amber Moore's Blog

Reflections

Compacting Curriculum

| 0 comments

Gifted Endorsement:Elective Hours 

This is an interesting article that focuses on culturally diverse students, but I felt the information was valid for all high achieving students.

Curriculum Compacting: A Research-based Differentiation Strategy for Culturally Diverse Talented Students written by Joseph S. Renzulli and Sally M. Reis.

This year I have a group of 5 students who are labeled as needing acceleration in the area of math. The task of creating different lessons based on different objectives and time frames has given me the opportunity to see how curriculum compacting really works. It is possible within the same classroom to differentiated not just on rigor, but actual standards. The pacing guide was designed to compact 5th grade material, and at other times, teach 6th grade subject matter. By compacting the 5th grade standards, I will be allotted enough time to teach an additional six, 6th grade standards. Additionally, these students are given different activities to complete during math groups, but are allowed to work at their individual pace. The activities included are independent practice, center activities, computer (Aleks), and a math project. I also added Mystery Class as an extra challenge this quarter. This project focuses first on elapsed time, but moves to higher level research skills and knowledge based on hours of daylight as time continues.

My experience with compacting curriculum this year has been mixed. The actual process of planning is obviously a longer process, which I have zero problems. I’ll always do what is needed to meet the needs of my students. The last thing I want are bored students. But what I’ve found with this group, they struggle with even grade level materials. After compacting the 5th grade standards early in the year, I deemed it necessary to begin reteaching all five students when it was time to teach it to the rest of the class. Since December, I have been working with these students twice a day, once for reteaching 5th grade, the other for the 6th grade standards. I think it’s great to be able to give students these opportunities, but I think we need to make sure it is actually what is best for the individual student.

How should students be assessed to decide if curriculum compacting is necessary?

Should students be reassessed yearly?